"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me."
-Clive Staples Lewis

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Golf...who likes it?

I do. So went to the DMV yesterday and got six points for doing what the intimidating woman in my passenger seat called a "California rolling stop". I am not sure what that really means or entails but I do know that is I gathered ten points that I would fail the test for the Chauffeurs license thus losing my regular licence until I could pass the test all over again. I know how to drive, I know most traffic laws but having someone who must find it painful to smile sitting in your very small car, writing things as you turn right, turn left and parallel park is a wee bit stressful. Did I mention that this cali rollin stop was at the stop sign of the parking lot out of the DMV? It was. Anyways I passed. Did I attempt to butter the instructor up the rest of the test? Yes, yes I did. Did it work? You tell me, I have a chauffeur's licence in my wallet now.
After this ordeal, my work training got cancelled. HUZZAH! So I called the roommate and we went golfing. Here are some things I notice and love/hate about the "game" of golf.
Golf should not be called a game. Games do not cause men in their mid twenties to have cardiac issues relating to rage. SkipBo, that is a game. Golf is something more. Maybe it is closer to a job. I do not make much money from it, most of the time I am ill-tempered whilst doing it and I perform much better is I am drinking beer.
Physics are stupid. I hate them. The whole issues of spin really chaps my backside. If small dimpled balls did not spin in certain directions I would be a phenomenal golfer. Maybe I would not be able to hit the ball at all but at least I would not hit it at a 90 degree angle any longer.
Being awesome at Tiger Woods PGA 2004 does not make you even slightly good in real life. I struggle with the fact that getting on the green is basically one shot away from being done with the hole. This is true for me on the video game. In real life I am usually about 3-4 shots away. FYI this is also true with guitar playing and guitar hero.
Lastly, golf is life. You can play like a no good hack for 17.3 holes BUT on that 18th hole you hit a spectacular drive, and Mickelson like approach, and drain that put like Jack at Augusta. You love this "game", you feel on top of the world, you forget two holes back when you tossed you pitching wedge farther than you just hit your ball. That is life. You have trials and tribs out the wazoo (sp?) and then God gives you a sliver of mercy and all is balanced, all is good.
Fore.

No comments:

Post a Comment