"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me."
-Clive Staples Lewis

Saturday, October 22, 2011

The Autumn List it is!

Lists are great. It is a lazy way for me to tell people things that I would not be able to in normal natural conversation. I get to shove my thoughts into all ya'lls faces. So it is Autumn but it is waning quickly. Life seems to speed up the more complicated it gets. That is a terrible thing to me. I guess that is why people who are constantly going and moving so often lose track of themselves or others.  Taking time to slow down and savor is not part of our culture anymore. I digress...
Here is one way I can try and slow my life down. By making a list, sometimes I am able to at least recognize what I love and what touches me.
So The Autumn...

Leaves. Crunchy, colorful, musty, aromatic...the adjectives could go on forever. I love when the leaves turn on the trees. The seem to symbolize the somber atmosphere descending, like elves leaving Middle Earth. I spent alot of football practices in college simply look at the collage of changing foliage. This may have contributed to my lack of playing time but I think my shortness of talent did mostly.

Flannel. I would wear flannel all year if I could. I mean I can but I tend to become smelly hot garbage when I attempt it in the summer. I was fortunate enough to have three close friends in college who all shared my love for the flannel shirt. James, Josiah and Jake. We really did make them cool again. I was saddened by the hipness factor they have now accumulated. I guess I am just being selfish though.

Coffee. Coffee makes my list for all seasons but it is especially grand in the fall months. Crisp mornings are brightened and illuminated by a fresh hot brew. Hurray.

Seeing my breath. Friends have witnessed my boyish joy I show once the warm moisture molecules from my lungs hit the cool air and cause steam. I realize you will think this stupid but this is my list not yours...and its the little things in life and all that.

Oktoberfest Style Beer. Best kind of beer hands down. Rich, frothy, amber, bursting with flavor. Gosh what more could you want.

Sitting in coffee shops with or without friends. I am doing this right now. It is great. Sit, read, talk, listen, drink, watch. Sounds like a pretty fulfilled life if you ask me.

Camp Fires. This is a multi-lister as well but oh well. Fire is always great unless it is burning you.

Fantasy Football. I like to watch football games but I have to admit that I am not a die hard fan anymore. It is hard for me to watch an entire game anymore. I do however love looking at my team during the week and writing mean/comical posts that degrades my fellow league members or myself. I also enjoy picking Star Wars themed team names. This year I am the Rebel Alliance. We are terrible but I like to write that we are good.

I do not like frost on my car windows though and that comes with Autumn as well. Good thing I can now park my car in a garage. I feel this will cut down on the number of days I get "sick" on work days this year.

Cheers 

No comments:

Post a Comment