"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me."
-Clive Staples Lewis

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

No letter cursing please, the library is supposed to be partially quiet

I recently purchased Lewis Carroll's set of tales, Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass so I have decided to explore words beginning with the letter "F".
Friendship. I just spent a week sleeping on my two best friends dream inducing sofa. I was up in Des Moines taking part in Official Hogwarts business but in addition to that I ate succulent ribs cooked by Jake, phenomenal fajitas from Tim and Kelly, played more Tiger Woods 2004 golf than is good for anyone, shopped at the second best book store in America with Molly (first in price though, if you have not gone to Half Price Books in Des Moines and you love books, well you should go.), played childish yet immensely fun pool games such as dodge the torpedo, catch the torpedo, baseball, breath holding and arm spin contests. This is really probably not interesting to you at all but my point is if you are unemployed and have a week or so to go hang out with close friends then you definitely should because nothing helps your soul so much as people around you who love you and you love. As much as I like Simon and Garfunkel  we are not meant to be alone ala Genesis 2:18, our nature as creatures is too need affection in some way and to be truly full, give affection in some way. As much as I love and in some ways understand the teachings and writings of the Desert Fathers, I will say where they fall short is the lack of emphasis they put on the joy we are supposed to take in each other. The point here is that I am blessed beyond belief in the friendships I have in reality across America.
Next word, Fallen.
Sat in on a Bible/devotional study with my friend and his father in law and discussed the idea of sin/redemption/Christ etc.. and I was reminded to what I constantly need reminded of, we are fallen and despicable and need the absolute grace of Christ for Life. What makes this so terrible when I do not meditate on this fact is that not only do I suffer myself, I cannot approach anything in my life, be it a job, relationships, witness, philosophy or what have you, in any sort of a correct way. Once we have the saving grace working out the constant salvation is terribly hard but nothing in this world matters if we stop doing it as Solomon tragically found out. So I guess I will have to continue to keep standing up. So the idea of fallen leads into a pair of words that come from the understanding of that word, failure and fresh. C.S. Lewis said that the Creator takes much joy in the fact that we get up and keep going. I do not want to fail or fall but if and when I do we are graced with fresh starts. Friendships and faith are ever so vital in stepping into our fresh starts after our failures, even though we are so fallen.
Well I feel as if I am rambleing so goodnight. Oh yes and I stayed with the Flinkmans whilst in Des Moines and that starts with F as well.

1 comment: