"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me."
-Clive Staples Lewis

Saturday, June 18, 2011

"Who is Pokey Reese?"


I love summer. Here are some reason's why.

Reading books. There is nothing like waking up early or staying up late to read a delicious book whilst drinking a thoughtful and well written cup of coffee. One of the many reasons I will not get a Kindle is that they just do not look as good sitting by a steaming hot cup of coffee as a book does. On this topic and particular summer, I am very much excited by the weekend of July 15. I recommend that you research this date and your summer enjoyment will increase ten-fold.

Sam Adam's Summer Ale with a side of crackling camp fire added to it. Every year since I was 7 years old I have looked forward to the release of this delightfully refreshing brew. I enjoy it most when sitting around a camp fire behind my friends Jake and Molly's house. If they are there then that is a plus as well.

Sunburn. I am of almost entire British Isle descent. This means that in the winter you are able to see platelets and phagocytes running through my veins. I will regret it someday but right now I relish the slight burn of my skin and my freckles bursting forth enough to look like a quasi tan.

Grilling. It's cheap, it's fun, it's manly and it tastes ever so good. There is nothing you cannot grill. I once made an entire wedding cake on a grill, frosting and all. If you do not believe me I can and will not prove it to you. Also tagged with this is eating outside.

Golf. I compare my love of golf to Dostoevsky's short story "A Gentle Creature" The lady trails me along and I think I truly love her but I never get anything out of it except maybe summer likes 2 and 3 from above.

Traveling to Des Moines to beat Jake at tennis, prepare good food and drinks with even better people and to enjoy campfires. *author's note; I believe that I have only enjoyed a campfire twice there but it left a lasting impression on me.

Going to baseball games. I will go to any game in any stadium but I do have favorite stadiums and people to go with. First Wrigley Field bleachers with the right field crew from college. I know for a fact Brandon Phillips and Dámaso Marté will never forget us. Second place is Kauffmen Stadium, home of the most character building team in professional sports. I like to attend this one with Brandon Warren because it is always fun to watch him come crashing down on an unsuspecting woman while he is in pursuit of a projectile hot dog.

Music. A well placed song can put you into a state of blissful summerness. What is great about music in the summer time is that you can add to any of the above mentioned items and it works like magic. I resist giving you a list of what music to listen to as that is rude and presumptuous of me to think I know what would hit your summer bone.

No comments:

Post a Comment